Friday, October 26, 2007

Welcome to KNOW WHAT THE JEWELER KNOWS!

My name is Stephen Spignesi and I am now a full-time writer, editor, and publisher.

But I also spent 25 years in a family retail jewelry business. During that time, I advised customers on buying diamonds, colored stones, pearls, watches, gold and silver jewelry, and I also did repairs, appraisals and engraving.

I've launched this site - KNOW WHAT THE JEWELER KNOWS - to provide some of the info I learned over the years to people looking for answers about buying jewelry, finding a jeweler, having their jewelry repaired.

I'll also try to help those of you who might be confused about jewelry appraisals for insurance, having things engraved, etc.

In addition to being part of our family jewelry business, I also wrote a book about jewelry for the QVC TV network called Gems, Jewels, and Treasures, and I also took the diamond course at the Gemological Institute of America.

I'll be adding articles to this site that answer specific questions, including 

  • What's the difference between sterling silver, white gold, and platinum? They're all a silver color, right?  Does it matter which one I buy?
  • What happens when my engagement ring's prongs wear out? Will the stone fall out?  What should I do?
  • What's "better," an amethyst or a sapphire? Or a ruby or an emerald?
  • People need jewelry appraisals for their homeowner's policy. What's that about? I'll tell you everything you need to know before you bring everything you own to a jeweler for an appraisal.
  • Who will change the battery in my watch?
  • How much should I pay to have my ring sized?
  • How much will it cost me to have my favorite gold chain repaired? And will the repair show?
  • What's involved with getting something engraved as a gift and how much will it cost?
  • How can I know who to trust when I'm looking for a jeweler?
  • What's the story with online jewelry sites that sell diamonds and other jewelry? Should I buy from them or go to a store near me?
So stop on by when you have questions and hopefully there will be an article here that answers your question.

Let me help you KNOW WHAT THE JEWELER KNOWS!

For more info about my books, you can check out www.stephenspignesi.com.

Thanks for visiting!